Kalendertekniken

Extramaterial och samtal i olika ämnen för dig som gått färdigt Mind Academy's 60 lektioner.
Mattias
Webbplatsadministratör

Kalendertekniken

Post by Mattias »

“Calendar” method

GMS allows you to remember all main events of each day of life, starting with a day when you first have used the “Calendar” method.

Events should be memorized starting with the first day of a month. The method is as follows:

Imagine any room, which you know well. Select any 12 items in this room. Put the figurative codes of the month’s names onto the selected item images. In the center of the room you should place a separate image which represents the number of a year.

As a result, the room itself will represent a certain year, and the 12 items inside will represent the 12 months of this year.

When you wake up in the morning you need to assign a certain image to that particular day. For example a “diskette”. After that, mark the selected images with the figurative codes of three-digit numbers. To the diskette’s write-protection switch area assign the „eMblem of MaNdarin” figurative code (001).

Every numbered image, which coincides with the first day of the month, should be linked to the corresponding month image (from those support images, described above, which are marked by the month figurative codes).

Other numbered images (images of the ordinary days) are not linked to anything.
Events, which you deem important, should be coded into images and linked to the numbered image of a day. For example; in the morning you got a water leak from the neighbors above, at noon you went to the airport to meet a friend, in the evening you went for a walk and discussed the topic of „parallel words”. Code these events into images and link them to the „Diskette” image of the day: „Wet Ceiling”, „Airplane”, „Boots and parallel lines”.

You can fix entire blocks of detailed information onto a day’s image i.e. phone numbers, addresses, names, flight numbers, license plate numbers and the like.

You should not try to remember the date and the month - you can easily determine them by a few simple calculations.

Let us assume that you have memorized 181 days starting from January the 1st up to July 30th.

Then you have the image 001 linked to a support image, signed by the figurative code „January”. There are 31 days in January; thus you have linked a numbered image 32 to a support image of February.
Image number 60 corresponds to March, 1st; image number 91 – April, 1st; image number 121 – May, 1st and image number 152 – June, 1st. These images are fixed by their association to the support images of the month’s names.

Thinking about the 12 support images in the room we also can easily find the image numbers corresponding to the first day of each month. These are 001, 032, 060, 091, 121, 152, and so on.

Now it will be very easy to find out which date corresponds to what ordinal number. For example; you are interested in the event fixed to the image number 115. To find out the date, search through the month images until you learn that 115 means April (being in the range from 091 to 121). Then calculate the difference between 115 and 091 (which is 24). Add 1 to this number. Event, fixed to the image 115 was taking place on April 25th. Deriving an image number from a date can also be done in reverse order.

Knowing the needed date (April 25) and the ordinal number fixed to the date of April 1st, we can easily calculate the image number with all corresponding events fixed to it. In order to do this, we have to add 25 to 91 and subtract 1, which will be equal to 115.

„Calendar” method is similar to looking through a photo album. While browsing a photo album from time to time, we are reminded of the fragments of events fixed on photos. With those pieces of memories, the events themselves can be recalled in much more details. The picture is just a starting point for recalling a sequence of memories.

Ruslan M
School of Phenomenal Memory

--------------------

So, for instance, January 1 you would wake up, select a support image to coincide with 001, and attach that to the same support image that January was attached to, the first cicero object in the room?

January 2 you would wake up, choose a support image to coincide with 002, but not attach that to anything? How will you perform recall if data isn't stored anywhere? I want to understand this concept well, I plan on using it starting January 1.

Also, won't it become difficult after a few years to come up with new images for day 127? Would it be easier to set up a support database for each month, six chains of five images, and use those for the days? That way to find out what happened on April 25 you would go to the april support image, surf to the fifth part, and look at the last image on that chain of 5...

Thanks, I'm just a little confused on this technique.

-Zachary

--------------------

I was talking to Ruslan about this on skype, this is what I learned.

If you were to do this for an entire year, let's say starting January 1(Like I will be doing), when the next year came around, you wouldn't select a new image for january based off of 001, you would select the new image based off of 366. The next year you would pick an image for January 1 based off 751, etc...

-Zachary

--------------------

Here's what I understand from Ruslan message:

Start by taking a room with 12 objects. In the middle of the room, apply a figurative code which represent the current year. Ie: 2008 = number 008 = muddy mallet in the center of the room.

Assign a month code on a part of each of the 12 objects. (no point imo, I always see pictures in order in my mind)

Next, pick a random image, attach it to the room object. This object becomes the first day of the month. Select one part of this random image, and attach a 3-digits fig code that describe the month according to which day it is to it. ie: April 1rst = day number 91, number 091 is meconium, which is disgusting, so I use mecano (abbreviation for mechanician) on one part of it.

You can use other parts of the random image to encode what you had on that day on it.

Then, you come up with an alternative code for 092, which will be august 2nd, and encode what you need on it. You don't attach this to anything.

Only question: won't it be confusing after a few years to know what object goes with which year?

-Nile

--------------------

The way you know which year each object goes with is to look at the object for the first day of that month. So let's say you had done this for 10 years, and you happened to look at object 092. To be sure what year that was, you would have to find the nearest month(091) and look at that. Since that object is connected to the year you would be able to see the entire room, from that object.
If you were looking at the year after you would end up looking at the object for 457 or something like that for the same day in the year.

What I'm actually going to be doing is making a chain of 6 images for each month. I will select 5 parts of each image(6 from the last when I need it), and connect the information for the day to those bases. This way recalling will be easier, to see what happened january 26, 2008, you would find the room for 2008, the cicero image for January, and look at the information attached to the first part of the sixth image.

The only think I could think of that I would like to try differently would be to single out 7 parts of each image, one for each day of the week. If the first of the month fell on a friday, then you would start with the 6th part of the first image. This way you would always know what day of the week something happened, but I've never tried to single out 7 parts of an image...

I think it will be interesting to see how long I keep this up... A journal is very important to me, and part of that is to have a record for my posterity, so this won't replace my written journal, but it will sure make remembering things a lot easier.

-Zachary

--------------------

That's 60 images complex enough to have 5-6 parts for every year. Not easy to find, but this form of database would definitly solve the problem of forgetting which alternative figurative codes go with which year.

Thanks for your input Zachary, keep us posted about how well your system works and what some of your objects will be (if possible). I can always use some fresh ideas of new items to use to encode data on.

Peace,

-Nile

--------------------

Well, I'm starting today, so let's see how it goes... I'm hoping to find the images I need in my apartment. By next year I'll be in a new apartment, so I'll look there... I find it easiest to use support images I find in an environment that is related to the subject. For my history textbook I'll be using my classroom in the Social Science building, etc... But it will definitely be fun. Another option I've been thinking about is using pictures. I have a picture I took in a canyon with a horse grazing in a pasture, a dirt-road on the left side and a fence in the front. I tried to put 5 images in the picture, and it seemed to work pretty well, that's not even using the mat/frame.

I'll definitely keep you posted, my journal is going to be in the 'real-life situations' forum.

-Zachary

--------------------

I suspect this would also work for creating a to-do list, which, if you fulfill the to-do, means you've predicted the future. I'd say this method would almost guarantee success and increased focus since really, who wants to spend precious time rewriting history?

-fr.

--------------------
VictorBull

Re: Kalendertekniken

Post by VictorBull »

Kalendertekniken har jag helt missat!

Ska bli spännande att påbörja det projektet i framtiden. Just nu ligger fokus på annat. Men den får definitivt plats på min 'To-do-list' ;-)